Links of Interest
- Audubon Birds & Climate Change Report - 314 Species on the Brink__Shrinking and shifting ranges could imperil nearly half of U.S. birds within this century
- Mississippi Sandhill Crane NWR - The Mississippi Sandhill Crane National Wildlife Refuge is part of the Gulf Coast Refuge Complex, which includes Grand Bay NWR and Bon Secour NWR.
The refuge was established in 1975 under authority of the Endangered Species Act to protect the critically endangered Mississippi sandhill cranes and their unique, and itself endangered, wet pine savanna habitat.
MS Sandhill Crane NWR on Facebook.
- International Crane Foundation (ICF) - The ICF by Baraboo, WI commits to a future where all crane species are secure. Whooping crane conservation - Recovering from a low of only 22 birds in the wild in the 1940s to around 599 birds today.
- NASA - Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive
- Ask the Astronomer - Operated since 1995 by NASA Astronomer Dr. Sten Odenwald. Do you have a question about astronomy and space science? You've come to the right place.
- All About Birds at livescience.com
- ARKive - Images of Life on Earth
- Join the Great Backyard Bird Count Next count, February 14th through the 17th, 2014. Participants in the free event will join tens of thousands of volunteers counting birds in their own backyards, local parks or wildlife refuges.
- Illustrated Encyclopedia of Endangered Animals An online illustrated encyclopedia of endangered animals that strives to inform and educate children about the danger of extinction of animal species due to environmental destruction.
- Bird Videos by Bruce Steger - Bruce has been seriously interested in birds for over forty years, and has been photographing, filming, and videoing birds for almost as long. In addition to his backyard in the north woods (his favorite place) he has birded in Europe, Australia, Central America and the Caribbean, and most of the USA.
- What Does It Mean To Be Human? - Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- 350.org A global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis and push for policies that will put the world on track to get to 350 ppm.
- Explore.org - Audubon Live Cams - Pandas, ospreys, puffins, tropical reefs, and more.
- TED Talks - Ideas worth spreading.....Great talks to stir your curiosity.
- CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, is the biggest particle physics laboratory in the world. - Large Hadron Collider (LHC) - CERN on Twitter
- Landscape Plants That Attract Birds
- The Garden Helper - Plants, Flowers and Trees that Attract, provide Shelter and Feed the Birds in Your Garden
- Landscaping to Attract Birds - US Fish & Wildlife Service's Migratory Bird Program - Conserving America's Birds
- About Birds and Bird Feeding - The Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Build a One-Board DIY Birdhouse - Free birdhouse plans
- National Audubon Society - Bird information and photos
- Learn About Birds - There are many things you can do to make the most of your Great Backyard Bird Count experience. For example, you can "bone up" on your bird ID skills, learn how to attract birds to your feeder area, and even find ways to involve kids in the big count. Please take a while to browse the topics below. We hope you'll find them fun and useful as you prepare for and participate in this year's Great Backyard Bird Count.
- David Sibley and the Sibley Guides - Identification of North American Birds and Trees
- Visual Key for Bird Identification
- Violation Hotline - The DNR's Violation Hotline provides Wisconsin citizens with the opportunity to confidentially report suspected wildlife, recreational and environmental violations using a toll free number.
- Will Newer Wind Turbines Mean Fewer Bird Deaths? National Geographic News
- Wind turbines kill around 300,000 birds annually, house cats kill around 3,000,000,000
The information and photos on this web site may be used for student projects as long as neither are placed on other websites. The photographs are copyrighted by Hope Rutledge, the owner and author of the American Bald Eagle Information website, and are NOT available for other websites, photo galleries or commercial use of any kind.